A celebration of San Diego’s Taco—veganized! We’re bringing some of our best talent head-to-head in a hand-held, salsa drizzled, event where the animals are winners.
Vegan in San Diego is taking over the Fair @ 44—a not-for-profit community gathering space by the City Heights Economic Development Collaborative—for an evening of local favorites and soon-to-be favorite vendors competing in a Vegan Taco Cook Off where you can be the judge!
Thank you to our sponsor Anthem North Park!
Date and Time: Saturday, November 4, 2017, 4:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Location: Fair @ 44 — 4350 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92105
- El Veganito (al pastor taco)
- Amo Nakatl Asada (adobada taco)
- La Taqueria Vegiee (adobada taco)
- Pokez Restaurant (tofu, potato, mushroom taco)
- Ranchos Cocina North Park (carne asada taco)
- Stuffed (falafel-based taco)
- The DOJO Cafe (coffee)
- Get Fluffed Up (cotton candy)
- Babe Kombucha
- Culligan (free water — bring your own bottle!)
- Vegan in San Diego
- Farm Animal Refuge
- Seva Foods
- SOLD OUT – Crowd Judge ($20): Limited amount! Admission at 4:00 p.m. Tickets get you a voting ballot and one taco from the six competing vendors—only the competing cook-off tacos will be served during this period. Ballots are due at 5:30 p.m.
- SOLD OUT – General Admission ($5): Admission at 5:30 p.m. Access to all vendors selling the balance of their menus.
- Sorry, no walk-ins. We are overwhelmed and grateful for the continuing interest in our first big event — we love you San Diego! Thanks for helping us sell out early! But don’t fret — we have future events already in the works for this exceptional community (announcement coming soon)!
- 4:00 – 5:30 p.m.: Official and Crowd Judges eat and compete.
- 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.: Gates open to full vendor menus. General admission, music, and maximum taco engorgement lies ahead.
DJs will be spinning tunes throughout the night: Dash Eye, DJ Thirdrail, DJ Mike Czech, and DJ Unite.
A portion of ticket proceeds will be donated to Let’s Give Movement supporting the people of Mexico and Puerto Rico in their reconstruction efforts.
We’ve collected a ton of great vegan-friendly raffle prizes from local businesses and friends of Vegan in San Diego from outside the area. Raffle tickets will be available for $1 each, and all of the money raised from ticket sales will be donated to Let’s Give Movement. Our goal is to raise at least $2,000 for this great cause. Must be present to win! Check out the preview of some of our prizes below:
- Vegan in San Diego t-shirt
- Vegan in San Diego limited edition tote
- Dash-a-Fire Podcast t-shirt
- Tribe of Kings t-shirt
- Farm Animal Refuge guided tour
- Farm Animal Refuge homemade soap
- Seva Foods goodies
- Snopel’s Bakeshop one dozen cupcakes
- Estasi Massage, 50 minute massage certificate (performed by vegan Kelly Buffo)
- Herbin Acupuncture
- Trader Joe’s Vegan Taco Starter Kit
- Nibble Chocolate
- Hemp Love Chocolate
- San Diego Hydroponics – Garden Starter Kit
- From A Small Seed variety pack of vegan protein bars
- Kelly’s Croutons gift bags with croutons and cashew parmesan
- Mission Square Mission – $50 gift card
- VioLife – 5lb block of vegan cheese
- Chipotle gift cards (free entree)
- …and more!
I have a JUDGING TICKET, what do I have to do?
Yay! Thank you for lending your eating talents to the Vegan Taco Cook-Off.
- Your ticket will entitle you an official voting ballot redeemable for (1) official event taco from each of the (6) vendors.
- Only the 65 judges will be allowed in between 4:00pm – 5:30pm.
- General Admissions ticketed guests or children attending with a judges will be allowed in.
- Ballots are due at 5:30pm.
- No additional tacos will be for sale during this period.
- Please arrive promptly to allow time for parking and check in.
I have a GENERAL ADMISSION TICKET, what does that mean?
Welcome to the party! At 5:30pm the gates will open to General Admission ticket holders.
- From 5:30 – 8:30pm all vendors will be selling their whole menu (Tacos, Agua Fresca, and more…)
What time does the event start?
The event occurs on Saturday, November 4, 2017
- Judging Ticket holders please arrive by 4:00pm.
- General Admission Ticket Holders: 5:30 – 8:30pm.
What should I bring?
- Cash, refillable water bottle, jacket, and your appetite.
- Please don’t bring: any food from animals; alcohol; cigarettes, vapers, cigars; coolers; instruments, knives/weapons, fireworks/explosives, and drugs.
How do I pay vendors?
Please bring cash. Not all vendors accept credit cards.
There will NOT be an ATM on site.
The nearest ATM is located approximately one block away.
How do I get there?
Location: Fair @ 44, 4350 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92105
- There is free and metered street parking in the area.
- Grab Uber or Lyft with your friends.
Via Bus: 1, 13, 215 (Stop: El Cajon Bl & 43rd St)
Via Bike: Bike racks available onsite. Please bring your own lock.
What is the space like?
Fair @ 44 is a not-for-profit community gathering space run by the City Heights Economic Development Collaborative. The outdoor space is a repurposed paved lot equipped with mobile toilets and lighting.
Is the venue handicap accessible?
We strive to make this venue accessible to all to guests! Please email us at VeganinSanDiego@gmail.com for specific questions about accessibility.
Are dogs allowed at the event?
We love dogs (and cats!), but sadly they are NOT allowed at the event. Trained service dogs are always welcomed.
Is the Taco Cook Off all ages? YES!
Does your festival accept re-entries?
Yes, just ask for a re-entry stamp at the check-in booth (front gate)!